Event Phone: 646-269-9039
- Turn Mystery to Mastery! NTT for Children with DCD - OT Track
June 18, 2018
8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Seats are very limited due to the interactive nature of the course. Register early to secure one and save!
“Effective and engaging! Just can’t wait for the other NTT modules in June! :)” – PT with 10 years experience
“Learning by doing and working & critiquing colleagues is great! Time flies when you are having fun.” – OT with 20 years experience
“It is great way to evaluate where the breakdown in learning a new motor skill occurs.” – PT with 6 years experience
“Lot of interactive pieces – hands-on tasks that engaged me.” – OT with 10 years experience
“Amazing speaker, funny, has a great way to encourage clinical reasoning.” – PT with 15 years experience
“Gave research throughout the course. Reinforcement of task analysis helped. I felt more competent as the day progressed. Thank you!” – OT with 8 years experience
“Enjoyed the specific ways to use NTT with different tasks and kids. Creative ideas to modify tasks were helpful.” – PT with 15 years experience
“Dr. Bouwien is very knowledgeable and a very dynamic speaker. She explained all of the concepts at a level that was very easy to understand and apply to real-life situations.” – OT with 7.5 years experience
Children with Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) exhibit difficulty learning motor skills and transferring an acquired motor skill to another setting or task. It’s as if every task in another context is a new mystery that needs to be relearned.
Turn Mystery to Mastery! provides therapists the knowledge and skills to help children with DCD or other coordination difficulties learn and generalize motor skills using Neuromotor Task Training (NTT). Popularly used in Europe and other countries outside the US, NTT is a task-oriented approach that is based upon motor learning principles. It has strong support from numerous meta-analyses and systematic reviews, and is recommended by the European Academy of Childhood Disability (EACD) over body-function-oriented approaches.
NTT can also be applied to other children with coordination difficulties, such as those with Autism, ADHD, ADD, Down Syndrome and Cerebral Palsy with higher cognitive and physical function.
Main Module: Introduction to Neuromotor Task Training for Children with Developmental Coordination Disorder
This course will provide an overview of evidence for task-oriented intervention approach in children with DCD. The instructor will explain the 5 main steps of the NTT process, starting with (1) assessment and identification of needs within the daily activities of the child; (2) selecting tasks the child, family or teachers would like to work on in therapy; (3) systematic approach to identifying factors that limit and enable task performance; (4) practice training, and ; (5) reevaluation and transfer opportunity checks.
Participants will be introduced to Task Analysis and Task Performance Analysis. They will also practice the concepts of Task Loading, Task Specificity and Guided Discovery. The instructor will emphasize the importance of differentiating between teaching methods used for children at different ages and stages in their learning and development. She will also explain the application of the Motor Teaching Principle Taxonomy (MTPT) within the 3 categories of Giving Instructions, Sharing Knowledge and Providing Feedback.
Click here to download the brochure that you may download, print, share or submit for reimbursement.
Registrants/Attendees of the Main Module are eligible to attend other NTT Modules. Below are some options
- Main Module + Ball Skills + Motor Imagery: 18 training hours
- Main Module + Ball Skills: 12 training hours
- Main Module + Motor Imagery: 12 training hours
At the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- List the motor control and motor learning principles underlying task-specific training
- Describe the application of motor control and motor learning principles in clinical practice
- Conduct a task analysis and task performance analysis of a self-care activity
- Demonstrate examples of task loading during performance of a motor task
- Describe motor teaching principles in relation to motor learning
- Explain how to evaluate task performance by comparing task performance and task load, pre- and post-intervention
- Overview of the New EACD DCD Guideline
- What Is Specific about Task-Specific Training: Motor Learning Principles & Motor Control Evidence
- Task Analysis
- Task Performance Analysis
- Task Loading: Variability within the Same Task
- Relationship between Motor Learning & Motor Teaching: Taxonomy of Motor Teaching
- Action Plan: Applying Task-Oriented Training
OTs, COTAs, PTs and PTAs
CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS
The Main Module qualifies for the equivalent of 6 hours of training.
- New York: OTs, COTAs, PTs and PTAs will receive 7.2 contact hours
- New Jersey: Apply EBP, LLC is currently applying for approval for 6.0 credits for PTs & PTAs. Note that course pre-approval is not required for OTs and COTAs.
- Pennsylvania: Apply EBP, LLC is currently applying for approval for 6.0 contact hours for OTs, COTAs, PTs & PTAs
- Connecticut: Note that CT does not require pre-approval of continuing education courses. The content of this course qualifies as continuing education as per DPH OT and PT regulations.
If you would like to obtain CEUs for another state, please email email@example.com.
Early Bird: Main Module only: $209 – save $30 by registering by April 30, 2018
Early Bird: Main Module + Ball Skills only: $399 – save $79 by registering by April 30, 2018
Early Bird: Main Module + Motor Imagery only: $399 – save $79 by registering by April 30, 2018
Early Bird: Main Module + Ball Skills + Motor Imagery only: $599 – save $118 by registering by April 30, 2018
Full Price: Main Module only: $239 – available starting May 1 – June 10, 2018
Full Price: Main Module + Ball Skills: $439 – save $39 starting May 1 – June 10, 2018
Full Price: Main Module + Motor Imagery $439 – save $39 starting May 1 – June 10, 2018
Full Price: Main Module + Ball Skills + Motor Imagery: $649 – save $68 starting May 1 – June 10, 2018
Click on the ticket type on top of this page. Enter required information. Select to pay via Credit Card, PayPal or by Check.
Pay via Credit Card or PayPal: You are registered instantly!
Pay via Check: You will receive instructions to send check via mail within 7 days to be registered.
Registrants may cancel up to 14 days prior to the course for a refund minus a $75 administration fee. There will be no refund for canceling less than 14 days prior to the course. Substitution is allowed with an email notification to firstname.lastname@example.org. ApplyEBP reserves the right to cancel a course up to 21 days prior to the course due to insufficient registration, with a full refund to registrants. Please do not arrange non-refundable travel arrangements until 20 days prior to the course, as ApplyEBP is not responsible for such expenses.
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Venue Website: https://www.nyu.edu/about/leadership-university-administration/office-of-the-president/office-of-the-provost/university-life/office-of-studentaffairs/wasserman-center-for-career-development.htmlAddress: