- Train the Brain! NYC
May 6, 2019
8:30 am - 3:30 pm
with Carlo Vialu, PT, MBA
Click here for a 1-page brochure that you can download, save, print and share.
Do your interventions result in long-term learning of motor skills at home, in the school and in the community?
Train the Brain! will provide the latest evidence in motor learning principles (MLPs) for children and youth with and without disabilities. The presenter will discuss the research findings and rationale behind such principles as the provision of verbal instruction, demonstration, feedback, variability, errorless training, frequency, specificity and salience.
Carlo will discuss how to incorporate these principles in the child’s therapeutic intervention and daily routine to help with generalization of skills and improve participation at home, in school and in the community. Participants will learn a step-by-step approach in selecting the task, designing the task & the environment, and teaching the task using case studies.
Carlo will describe the application of MLPs in children with the most common childhood diagnoses (cerebral palsy, developmental coordination disorder, and autistic spectrum disorder) so participants can translate what they learned from the session into real-life practice. To further promote generalization of skills, participants will practice how to use a motor learning framework during collaborative consultations with families and educators to design an MLP-rich environment in school, at home and in the community.
At the completion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Differentiate the 3 ways of assessing motor learning (acquisition, retention and transfer of skills)
- Describe the latest evidence with regards to at least 6 motor learning principles
- Apply at least 6 motor learning principles when selecting, designing and teaching motor tasks on a case study
- Design a motor-learning-principle-rich home, school or community environment which incorporates at least 5 motor learning principles on a case study
OTs, PTs, COTAs and PTAs serving children and youth with disabilities
- Motor Learning: Definition and Assessment
- Motor Learning Principles (MLPs), Participation & Occupation in Children
- Selecting the Task: Specificity and Salience + Case Study Application
- Designing the Task and the Environment: Frequency, Errorless Training, Variability and Autonomy + Case Study Application
- Teaching the Task: Verbal Instructions
- Teaching the Task (continued): Feedback and Demonstration + Case Study Application
- MLPs and Common Diagnoses: CP, DCD and ASD
- Collaborative Consultation: Designing a Motor Learning Principle- Rich Environment + Case Study Application
CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS
This course qualifies for 6 hours of Continuing Education.
- Connecticut: Note that CT does not require pre-approval of continuing education courses. The content of this course qualifies as continuing education as per DPH OT and PT regulations.
- New York: OTs and COTAs will receive 6 contact hours; PTs and PTAs will receive 7.2 contact hours.
- New Jersey: Apply EBP, LLC submitted an application for approval for 6.0 credits for PTs & PTAs. Note that there is no CEU approval process for OT/COTA – all attendees will receive a certificate of completion.
- Pennsylvania: OTs, PTs, COTAs & PTAs will receive 6 CE credits as per PA OT Board Regulations § 42.54(c)(8)
and PA PT Board Laws & Regulations § 40.67 (d)(1)(i)(H)
- NBCOT: You can use the certificate of completion handed at the end of the course and this brochure when submitting for NBCOT certification renewal.
TICKET PRICES AND DISCOUNTS
Early Bird – Group: $189 – save $50/participant if 3 or more from the same organization, community group/network or study group register by April 5, 2019. Register together or separately, indicating at least 2 of your co-therapists who are also registering.
Early Bird – Individual : $209 – save $30 by registering by April 5, 2019
Full Price: $239 – available on April 5 – May 1, 2019
Click on the ticket type on the top of this page. Enter required information. Select to pay via Credit Card, PayPal or by Check.
Pay via Credit Card or PayPal: You are registered instantly!
Pay via Check: You will receive instructions to send check via mail within 7 days to be registered.
Registrants may cancel up to 14 days prior to the course for a refund minus a $75 administration fee. There will be no refund for canceling less than 14 days prior to the course. Substitution is allowed with an email notification to firstname.lastname@example.org. ApplyEBP reserves the right to cancel a course up to 14 days prior to the course due to insufficient registration, with a full refund to registrants. Please do not arrange non-refundable travel arrangements until 13 days prior to the course, as ApplyEBP is not responsible for such expenses.
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Venue: Hotel Penn